Forest plan resources
Preparing a forest plan is often part of a Forestry Grant Scheme application. On this page you’ll find resources to help you. The guidance is broken down into general forest plan advice, crop data, landscape, archaeological survey and key species conservation.
- Management plan template (MS Word 194K) – must be submitted before any related Forestry Grant Scheme application
- Management plan guidance (MS Word 176k) – information about using the management plan template
- Woodland owners and managers can map, store woodland information and create a management plan on the FCS template using myForest
- Long Term Forest Plans Applicant’s Guidance (PDF 6MB) – gives information on scoping and how to prepare your forest plan
- Design techniques for forest management planning (PDF 9MB) – gives detailed information on the process of forest planning
- Long term forest plan template A4 (MS Word 431KB) and Long term forest plan template A3 (MS Word 431KB) – these templates are available to help you complete your forest plan
- LTFP scoping document template A4 (MS Word 205KB)
Forest plan examples
The FC Practice Guide 'Design techniques for forest management planning' also include a number of worked examples that show the development of the forest management planning process for different landscape types that can be downloaded.
- Urban and community woodlands
- Mixed agricultural and estate landscapes
- Forests in flat or undulating landscapes
- Forests on rolling hills
- Forests in upland hill and plateau landscapes
- Forests in mountainous landscapes
Crop data for forest plans
This will contribute to the private sector timber production forecast. Use this spreadsheet to give your data:
- Production forecast spreadsheet (MS Excel 50K)
- Production forecast spreadsheet user guide (PDF 131K)
- Forests & landscape information and advice (PDF 948KB) – provides a summary and sources of information
- Achieving diversity in Scotland’s forest landscapes (PDF 2.3MB) – gives advice and ideas to forest managers. You can select parts suitable for your forest to help meet you management goals
- Management of ancient wood pasture (PDF 3.2MB)– provides an introduction to restoration and management of ancient wood pastures in Scotland. Aimed at land managers, advisers and staff involved in land management and grant assessment
- Conserving and managing trees and woodlands in Scotland’s designed landscapes (PDF 4MB) – assists owners and managers in caring for all the tree components in designed landscapes
Archaeological survey guidance
- The provision of archaeological information and advice in Scotland to meet the UKFS (PDF 42KB)– Forest Plans and Management Plans must comply with the UK Forestry Standard and its guidelines. Where site sensitivities exist, like archaeology, you might need to undertake surveys.
Key species conservation
Summaries of action to conserve six key woodland species in Scotland, both in private woodlands and on the National Forest Estate
Map tools and datasets
- Land Information Search
A map-based tool that allows you to search for details about a chosen area of land.
- FCS Map Viewer
Explore a variety of Forestry Commission Scotland datasets on this map-based tool.
- Data Download
Access and download a wide range of Forestry Commission GIS datasets