Scottish forest industries and timber resources
Our forest industries have come a long way. Once focused on war-time timber supply, Scottish forestry has matured into a dynamic, low-carbon sector that enriches our economy.
Economic contribution to Scotland
The Scottish forestry sector is successful and growing. Modern forest industries include sustainable construction, pulp and paper, woodfuel and biomass, research and innovation, recreation, tourism and more.
In total, the sector contributes nearly £1 billion GVA* to Scotland's economy every year.
So the more activity there is in the sector, the greater the economic, climate and environmental benefits could be.
Sustainability underpins modern forestry. It means more than just replanting trees to replace those that we harvest. It also means thinking about the long-term impact of altering an area of forest and responsibly producing a valuable resource whilst preserving forests for future generations.
Supporting Scottish timber
We're helping Scotland make the most of its timber resource by:
- Helping sustain a stable timber supply to encourage investment in timber processing
- Promoting timber as a renewable energy source and sustainable construction material
- Making the sector more competitive by adding value to the supply chain
- Minimising the social and economic impact of timber transport
- Developing the small scale wood processing sector.