Renewable energy on the National Forest Estate
The UK Government supports the use of renewable energy sources for generating electricity and heat as part of its strategy for improving sustainability and reducing the impact of climate change.
In Scotland, the Scottish Government has set a target of 100% of Scotland's gross annual electricity consumption from renewable sources by 2020.
How are we involved?
- We are developing the potential of the National Forest Estate for wind and hydro power.
- We support the expanding wood fuel and bio-energy sector.
- We are working to increase the contribution and response of Scottish forestry to the challenges of climate change.
Wind and hydro power
Our aims are to ensure that the potential of the National Forest Estate for renewable energy is developed and managed in ways that:
- contribute to the Scottish Government’s renewable energy target;
- secure benefits for local communities;
- maximise financial returns from the estate;
- achieve a reasonable and sustainable balance with other FCS objectives.
Community benefits and opportunities
A vital part of renewables projects on the National Forest Estate is ensuring that local communities are able to benefit from these developments in a variety of different ways.
In 2010 we introduced a community benefit of £5,000 per MW installed. This has now become industry standard and is part of the Scottish Government Good Practice Principles.
Communities are also offered the opportunity to invest in their local projects. The details of investment opportunities are determined by the individual developers and communities.
In addition, we're working with communities that have expressed an interest in developing their own wind or hydro energy projects on the estate through the National Forest Land Scheme.
For more information please contact Forest Renewables at:
Telephone: 0300 067 5708
- Scottish Government: renewable energy
Renewables planning advice and information from the Scottish Government.
- Scottish Renewables
A member organisation dedicated to the growth of renewable energy in Scotland.
- FCS Map Viewer
Explore a variety of map-based datasets including renewable schemes and opportunities.
- Land Information Search
A map-based tool that allows you to search for details about a chosen area of land.
- Data Download
Access and download a wide range of Forestry Commission GIS datasets