Fishing in Galloway Forest Park
Galloway boasts some stunning locations for keen fishers to enjoy the calm waters. Kirroughtree, Glentrool and Clatteringshaws Visitor Centres are all excellent places to touch base before you take to the lochs.
Weekly or annual permits are available from the Galloway Forest Park district office in Creebridge, Newton Stewart. For annual permits, please provide a passport sized colour photo and two separate forms of identity - e.g. driving licence/passport plus a recent utility bill with your address.
As a rough guide, weekly permits to fish all lochs except Loch Dee and Loch Bradan cost £35, while annual permits to fish all waters except Loch Dee and Loch Bradan cost £50 for coarse fishing or £75 for trout and coarse fishing.
When and where to fish
Open season for trout and salmon fishing is 15th March to 30th September. The season ends early to conserve spawning fish, and to conserve salmon and sea trout we operate a catch and release policy.
You can fish for pike, perch, tench, rudd all year round.
Fishing is only allowed between 8am and one hour before sunset, except on Palnure Burn where fishing may continue after dusk.
We encourage the use of barbless hooks for all coarse fish and ask that you take all litter, including line and bait, home with you.
Please note, there is no natural minnow fishing allowed on any Forestry Commission Scotland waters. The use of live bait, prawns or shrimps is also not permitted.
For more details, fishing availability and online booking can be found on the Galloway section of Fish Pal.
Due to ongoing forest operations fishing at Black Loch will not begin until 31st May 2017.
Other places to buy permits
- Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre 01644 420285
- Glentrool Visitor Centre 01671 840302
- Robert Ryman, Glenrazie Lodge 01671 403560
- Galloway Forest Park Office, Creebridge, Newton Stewart 0300 067 6800
- Kirroughtree Visitor Centre 01671 402165
- Straiton Stores, Straiton 01655 770208
- Ayr Road Garage, 7 Ayr Road, Dalmellington 01292 550487
- Gamesport of Ayr, 60 Sandgate, Ayr KA71BX 01292 263822
- McCowan & Son, 50-52 KingStreet, Castle Douglas 01556 502009
- Galloway Angling Centre, 1 Queen Street, Newton Stewart 01671 401333
- Pets Aquarium, 124 Main Street, Prestwick KA9 1PB 01292 477863
- Glenafton Stores, Mossdale, Castle Douglas, DG7 2NF 01644 450281
- Garlieston Lodge Campsite, Garlieston DG8 8BT 01988 600641